1) SURVIVAL - Many good films are about survival - human instinct - do-or-die situations. If you're into Hollywood scripts and stories, think about the top-grossing films of all time. 99 out 100 are stories with characters in DO-or-DIE situations.
2) SAFETY AND SECURITY - Need to find a secure/protected setting once again.
3) LOVE AND BELONGING - Someone longing for connection - wanting to feel LOVED.
4) ESTEEM AND SELF-RESPECT - Wanting to be looked up to, and be recognized for their skills.
5) THE NEED TO KNOW AND UNDERSTAND - Curiousity, and understanding how things happen and what they have to go through to get answers.
6) THE AESTHETIC - Trying to be connected with something greater than themselves - a higher power.
7) SELF-ACTUALIZATION - The characters need to express themselves - to communicate who they are. The audience roots for someone to succeed. A lot of comedies have this plot.